Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I don't know what makes me more sad

I was driving to an appointment this afternoon and looked to see a homeless person rolling his cart down a major thoroughfare. Upon closer inspection, I saw that his cart was from Hills. I don't what makes me sadder: that the man was homeless so long that his cart came from a store that was prosperous in the Reagan days or that I miss the slightly warmed over pee smell that came from the Hills dressing rooms.

In my hometown, the Hills store closed down just as I moved into town. Shortly thereafter it became a Venture when I was in middle school. I got what I thought was a very cool purple suede vest there. I didn't, however, buy the bodysuit to go under it that was so popular at the time.

After Venture failed, it became a ShopKo. ShopKo is like a generic version of K-Mart, only with cheaper merchandise. Seeing as K-Mart had just opened the first in the line of "Super" stores to come to town just a few months earlier, ShopKo became the place to go when you needed toilet paper or Crystal Pepsi at a good price, but didn't want to wait in line.

After ShopKo left, I think the place became a warehouse of those transient mega blowout sales for a while. I'm not sure, but I know that Lara could tell me if I could get a hold of her. Now it's a Burlington Coat Factory but those in the know say it's in the old Hills building.

On another note, the Chinese New Year is on my birthday this year. It's the year of the dog and I'm trying to decide how I feel about that. I wish I could say that I wanted a dog for my birthday, but I'd settle for an ipod of any type. Damn all you ipodians!!

1 comment:

Hoosier Chick said...

You know it was the big ass building. remember when Michael's and the shoe store were Great Scot?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...