Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Kids Aren't Cats, Madonna

I'm actually fairly excited that Malawi stood up to Madonna. Well, so far. Why must celebrities take children from their impoverished areas and adopt them? Doesn't it make more sense to try and change the environment that produces so many children that need help?

I guess I don't get it. I mean, I understand wanting to save things. I adopted three cats under the assumption that I was providing them with a better life and saving them from certain death or inferior owners. But cats aren't kids. I know it's selfish and pompous of me to think that I'm doing better for any these cats than any other person who loves animals.

It's similarly pompous to think that it's better for a child to give them the luxuries of Western civilization than to experience their culture and community. I'm not knocking Madonna as a mother, but wouldn't it be a better opportunity to raise awareness about the plight of children in these areas. People don't feel like they can adopt every needy child. However, they can help fund organizations that do good for kids in Africa.

Let's hope that celebrities soon realize that kids aren't cats and instead of adopting, they actually work to do something to help the impoverished children everywhere.

2 comments:

The Queen said...

You're right. What's the big deal with all of these celebs wanting to start their own orphanage? Why don't they just donate their millions of dollars to these countries and adopt within the states? There are so many children that need homes that are in the U.S.!

Allison said...

I finally get a laptop which allows me for more time to read, and you stop blogging. What gives?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...