Pages

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

What's Real Anymore?

Last night I watched bits and pieces of "I'm a Celebrity! Get me Out of Here" before wondering if everything in my life that's supposed to be real is actually fake. Not a "Matrix" freakout, but certainly something worth contemplating.

Like that show, for instance, which swears that no one knows what's going on and that it's the "celebrities" being real. I have a hard time believing that Spencer Pratt is that much of an out of touch asshole in real life. At least, I'd like to believe that there are few people who are so delusional that they think being on an MTV "reality" show grants them higher celebrity than Lou Diamond Phillips. I mean, come on.

Maybe I'm cynical. Maybe I'm just skeptical, but there are very few things that I feel are organic these days. Not like, all natural organic, but like happening on their own. One thing I did have pointed out to me twice on the same day (thank you Chef and Laura) was this great amazon.com review. I think it's probably real, but now that the company has seen it's orders for the shirt rise, I'm sure there's a marketing agency out there trying to replicate it with one of their products.

Not even the sugar I eat is real. It's splenda and therefore supposedly better for me, but it's still scary. I love Hungry Girl because she makes fattening foods less so, but most of her recipes don't use "real" ingredients.

What is real anymore?? Am I missing out on anything or just having a 21st century crisis of reality?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...