Pages

Monday, June 01, 2009

I've never noticed teeth so much before

Yesterday I worked an event at the local zoo and gave out health information. It was a very nice event. Well run, well attended, great weather, all the important things you'd want in an outdoor kids event.

But any time I work one of these things, I always get a different kind of crowd. Mostly it takes me out of my comfort zone and thrust into a crowd of people I didn't know existed in Nashville. And almost everything the vast majority are very nice. Of course, it's the few that aren't so nice that make me chuckle. for instance, at one event I had a lady tell me that she was from New York, and New Yorkers aren't fat, but that when we moved to the South, she was surrounded by "Fatty Families" that made her sick.

But the one thing that really stuck out for me yesterday was the poor dental hygiene or evidence there of for so many people. Not just the adults (and I saw some mouths that I'd only see on TV--no teeth or just nubs on a 20-something is not the norm), but I also saw a LOT of fillings on baby teeth. Like the front of the mouth baby teeth with silver rims.

I think about how the eating habits of today are effecting the waistlines of youth, but I'd never noticed the mouths. Some of the worst teeth were on kids that weren't overweight. So if the sugar is doing that kind of physical, visible damage to their enamel, it makes me wonder about their insides.

Or, more specifically, my insides. What have I pickled in my gullet?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...