Pages

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Sure Signs You're Middle Class

Last night I went to a work shindig. It was very lovely and accomplished many things including rallying some very influential movers and shakers around the cause. However, when that many high powered people are in one room, it makes me realize just how staunchly entrenched in the middle class that I am. Here are some ways I knew:
  • When one guest mentioned wanting a pool, I immediately threw out there "Yeah, but the upkeep is horrendous" before realizing that they probably won't be touching pool chemicals or a sweeper ever.
  • None of my stories begin with "We were taking this quick jaunt up to Chicago in our private plane, and. . ."
  • I had to explain to the valet the best way to get into my 14 year old car. (It only unlocks from the passenger side, God love it.)
  • I can't relate to taking a business trip. . .to Japan or hosting the Australian Trade Commissioner for dinner.

However, that's what I love about sports. No matter how rich or poor a person, they can all become instant friends or enemies in the matter of one question: Who's your favorite team?

1 comment:

Shera said...

The valet probably has a newer car than you... and me. The Corolla is 10 and going strong, but I only have issues with the passenger side lock.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...