Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ode to the Charity Walk

If you've ever been up at 4:30 on a weekend morning using car headlights to see in a damp field and wiping down dew-covered tables, then you've experienced the joy that is running a charity walk.

I too have experienced this joy in various stages of involvement: from working for a charity and being in charge of the event to working for the charity and only being in charge of a small portion of the event to be a hired hand working on a portion of the event. I honestly prefer whichever involvement lets me sleep in the latest.

I haven't worked for a non-profit for two and half years, but have the joy of working with one now. It's fun and after almost a decade with the American Heart Association, I'm pretty sure that I'll always be involved with one or multiple charities throughout my life, in some way or another. This time I was involved at a local walk for Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California. A different charity, but just as important in its work.

Here's my latest event in pictures:
I had to wait about an hour after getting to the location for there to even be this much light to take the picture.

The money shot: this is when everyone who worked on the event breathes a sigh of relief because 90 percent of the heavy lifting (literally and figuratively) is over. 

I've been to more than 50 walks in my day, but have only walked as a walker in  less than 10, and that's the Evansville  Komen Race for the Cure, as you might imagine. Here I am walking in spirit with my Porter Novelli work team.
This is the first time that I've ever seen miniature ponies (there were three) at a walk, but there are two words that can explain that: Orange County.


If you want to support my efforts, there's still time. Feel free to donate to this great cause HERE

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...