Pages

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Things I've inherited. . . (An Update)


  • some jewelry
  • a weird sweater that I can't bear to let go
  • a good head of hair of varying colors
  • a healthy curiosity
  • a duck-like walk where my toes point out
  • a good deal of patience. . .
  • that can evaporate quickly into a mean temper
  • fairly decent amount of intelligence
  • probably a little too much empathy
and many more things. . . but one thing that I did NOT inherit are cancer genes. 

Found the news out today that I do not have any mutations on genes that affect breast, ovarian, gastric, colorectal, pancreatic, melanoma, and endometrial cancers.  HOORAY!

What does this mean?

As mentioned yesterday, 10 percent of cancers are genetic so it appears I'm in the clear for that. But I'm not out of the woods. I'm still a high risk for breast cancer but I just have to check my breasts a little more than the average bear. 

That being said. . . HOLY COW!!

I never realized how many people had had similar experiences or cancer or other health problems that are scary as fuck. And at really young ages. We're too young for this, people! 

I'm also humbled by the outpouring of support. I honestly just wanted to  get this off my chest so to speak because I had been nervously carrying it around. I hope that by sharing my mom's symptoms that women might realize that breast cancer isn't just a lump. It can be a weird dimpling or a red rash. 

But lastly, I cannot believe the understanding and kind words and support from everyone. I am a fucking lucky person to have such great people in my life and don't think I don't know it. THANK YOU!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Ashley...that is wonderful news..just wonderful!! Love Ros

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...