Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Take Most (but not all) of it off

My job is weird. Some days it's your everyday, 9 to 5 meetings, phone calls and emails type of gig. Other days it's working with fabulous volunteers who make you feel lucky to have contact with them. Yesterday it was a Burlesque car wash.

Groups do events with the proceeds going to us a lot. Some times the events are fun and some times they want to do more than just raise money. They want to help get the message out there. This was one such event. The group of ladies (called Music City Burlesque) does a car wash every month in the summer to raise money for different charities. They also do other events, but this was the one they asked me to.

It was a hoot. The girls were all super nice and very hard working. The crowd generated was a group that probably wouldn't have been touched by our cause in any other way. But aside from all that, it gave me a new respect for burlesque. There's a sense of body image that comes with performing that these ladies have in spades and I want.

They could care less if they weren't the best bodies in Nashville. They were just in touch with their sexuality. And it wasn't the kind of "in your face" sexuality that comes from a BritneySpears car exit either. It was a throwbackto the pin-up girl and fish net tights. High shoes at all times and long eyelashes. It truly made me want to get a little more in touch with my femininity in that way instead of that June Cleaver dresses and cardigans I normally sport.

I don't know if I'll be in a burlesque show any time soon, but I think it's got me intrigued.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...