Pages

Monday, October 17, 2005

How Many Years Does it Take to Get a Grown-Up's Chair?

Seriously, does anyone have an answer for this? How long do I have to work somewhere before I am entitled to have a chair that wasn't built for a midget or that comes all the way up my back?

Apparently four years is not enough.

We've had quite a few people leave here in the last couple of weeks and after the latest two left last week, I decided that enough was enough. We had spent good money on nice chairs for sales people that spent less than two hours in them every week. I am in the office 5 days a week and my chair was far more inferior.

Let's forget the fact that I'd worked here for over 4 years and asked for a new chair on several occasions. And we can forget that new chairs had been ordered 3 times for people who had worked here less than a month since the time I put in my first request. And out of those three people who received new chairs, only one is still here.

So, today when I pilfered the chair from the dearly departed's (gone, not dead) office, I got the third degree. Here are some comments I received:
  1. What are you doing with that chair?
  2. Is your chair broken?
  3. If it's not broken, then why are you taking that chair?
  4. Have you even asked to have a new chair ordered?
  5. Oh, well, I'll just have to check with _______ and make sure that (appropriate pronoun for _____) doesn't want to order another one to replace the one you took.

That was just from one person. So if four is not the answer, what is? How long must my ass suffer with inferior cushioning before I can write it off as workman's comp?

2 comments:

Race Gannon said...

I think that first you have to learn to use big people pants.

Hoosier Chick said...

Well, there probably is a certain smell to the chair that I had for four years. Four years is a long time and we work close to a Mexican restaurant.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...