Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

It seems quiet around here

Every year about this time, the city seems a little more quiet. Maybe it's just me, but once school is out and the college kids leave, it's like a breath of fresh air. I know if I were a mom, I'd be thinking differently, but I'm not.

You never realize how many college kids invade your favorite hangouts until their gone. Living about 3 blocks away from a campus doesn't ease the situation, but I digress. Driving through campus every morning to get to work and not having to dodge pedestrians is nice. Not being forced to confront my own age by watching frat boys roll out the Slip 'N Slide while crawfish are boiling on the porch is also a plus. I don't need a taut 20 year old in a short skirt to feel out of my element. That just happens naturally.

But after a few months of quiet, it is kind of nice when school is back in session. Even the local schools. It's like a collective exhale in May as the schools let out and then another one in August as they roll back in.

Add to that it's vacation time. Even those taking staycations (which I think has to be the word of 2009 as I never saw it in print as many times as I have in the last three months), are still out of the usual routine. The traffic is lighter and at least 10 percent of the city goes on vacation each week, so it starts to make a big impact.

For now, I'll just enjoy the quiet before the bitching about traffic begins again in the fall. Welcome summer!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...