Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow days that weren't so bad

Before I get too far into this, I'll admit it. I'm one of those Northerners who chuckles obnoxiously at southern snowfall. Others warn me to be careful driving in the weather and I reply "No worries. I took my driving test in the snow."

It's smug and I realize it. It's also one of the few perks I have coming from the North in the eyes of my Southern brethren. I mean, I'm a Yankee and it's often told to me in disdain. Others try to place my origin as I've had enough of the southern twang seep in to my previously flat accent to throw people off.

But I digress.

We got about 4 inches of snow in my little corner of the world. Four inches in Indiana is not enough to call off school, delay work or do anything other than add shoveling snow to your day's to do list. But that amount in Nashville is enough to paralyze the city. Honestly, I'm rather thankful because there are too many people unfamiliar with driving in snow and it's slow intricacies. It can be dangerous to be out with others.

For me, it was a great weekend. The snow on Friday night made it seem like the restaurants open in my neighborhood that would normally be bursting with business were quietly open just for me and Chef to enjoy. Snow slows things down so much that my email inbox wasn't bursting at the seams and my Saturday was spent lounging and working at my leisure.

So I say "Thank You, Snow" for the break. Now get out of here. We've got a Heart Gala next week and this stuff better be gone.

4 comments:

Anne said...

You don't visit Indiana much in the winter anymore, plus you're old now and forgetful and also maybe want to imagine that your Hoosier kin are tougher than we actually are. In Indiana, four inches is definitely enough to call school, at least from Indy on down. Four inches is enough to have strategically placed newscasters showing off their bootprints, brandishing rulers for super-scientific on-the-spot measuring, and gesturing dramatically toward unplowed roadways. You're going to have to move on further north if you're looking for folks who shrug at four inches.

Shera said...

Four inches ain't enough for our super. He scoffs at 4 inches and the poor kids who have to trudge through it to the bus stop. Never mind teachers who have to drive 20 miles to get to work. It took -30+ wind chills to get us delays last year. Times like these make me so nostalgic for "rural" Kentucky winters where we NEVAH went to school in the snow.

Anne said...

Wow, seriously? In Monroe, Owen, and Brown counties they cannot WAIT to cancel school. In fact, they cancelled today on the very threat of snow. It didn't even really begin to snow until 4pm.

You know I'm right about the newscasters.

Shera said...

Dead on with the newscasters... I saw it myself a few hours after I read your post. Rulers... really?!? This morning they were mock shoveling the Fox 59 parking lot. Ugh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...