Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Should I have a Pen name?

Chef says that even by writing this, I'm setting myself up to never be able to be anonymous in my writing and he's probably right, but I still can't but wonder: Should I have a pen name?

I'm thinking of this for a couple of reasons:

  1. I could start over...kind of. If I were to use a pen name, I could develop social media outlets, a blog, and a persona that is 100 percent just for my personal writing. Since I've learned so much since starting all this a while ago, I feel like I could grow it.
  2. Let's face it: having an audience is a plus for marketing a book. If I ever get to the point where I can get an agent, having an audience built in is a great way to be all that much more appealing to a publisher. I should know. I used to work for a publisher. 
  3. I can stop censoring myself. You might not believe that I censor myself, but it's true. One of the things that make me fairly good at my PR job is that I know how to tailor my communications to my audience. This skill that serves me so well during the day time is a HUGE problem when I'm writing. I need to shake off the images of my family and friends who might be reading my stuff and just write what I want to. When I look back on my old blog posts, when I was young and dumb and didn't care about my professional persona, I see how fearless I used to be when just laying it out there. Not so much any more.
  4. I could have one place where I could completely be myself...by using another name. The irony (and ACTUAL irony--not just Alanis Morrisette kind of irony) of having to use a pseudonym to completely be myself is not lost on me. It just shows me even more clearly what I've always known. There is a work me. There is a writer me. There is an at-home me. Two of the three can be together in the same room, but never all three at the same time. 
I may never make it as a writer, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop trying. What do you think? AM I crazy?


1 comment:

Nicole said...

I often wonder the same thing. But I feel like I am sooo deep in, and have so many people following.. it would be impossible to build up the audience again (though we both know it's possible.. it's just a lot of work.)

I get it.. I do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...