Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I saw the Governor and then I read a great book

Yesterday I was leaving a gas station that sits at an awkward corner in town. It's one of those weird ones that is always exceptionally busy and the exits lead to an even busier intersection. I had been waiting for quite a long time when a dark Lincoln Town Car pulled up next to me. Naturally, I was trying to pull out and the town car was preventing me. I looked into the side window and saw our Governor. He looked up and when I waved, he waved back.

This is actually the third time I'd met the Governor. The first two were work-related when he was posing for a "day declaration." One of those "Today is Tennessee's Sit On Your Ass and Do Nothing Day for This Charity Day" kind of things. It's totally different when you see someone out doing a normal thing...like pissing me off for blocking me in. It's like seeing your teacher outside of class. Weird.

Okay, so I'm constantly reading and I'm always looking for book suggestions, so I'm going to jot down a quick list of some of my recently read good books (and one I didn't like). Leave me a comment on what you're reading.

  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett: Absolutely amazing. Just finished it after reading for three hours straight last night. Now I'm trying to read everything she's written.
  • Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell: Funny, historical and quirky. I've heard the audio edition is fabulous, but I'm afraid to get it because I loved the book so damn much.
  • The Best Non-Required Reading of 2005: I buy this collection every year. It's like great reading for the ADD inflicted. However this latest edition has been my favorite collection so far. Good from cover to cover.
  • Anything by Jennifer Weiner: She's my favorite hot pink book author. Fun and exciting.

Not on my list:

  • A Prayer for Owen Meany: Irving writes like I talk: in long, boring stories that only have the thinest thread of connection to the main point.

Okay, hit me with your suggestions. What do people think of Kurt Vonnegut?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Slaughterhouse Five. Haven't read Breakfast of Champions. His latest is supposedly cranky old man up in arms about Iraq. Which suits me just fine.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...