Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sometimes Politics Make Me Sad

Today for work I went to the Tennessee Legislature. The American Heart Association is a part of the Tennessee Obesity Task Force (we're against obesity, for the record). Today was the task force's day on the Hill.

Seeing politics in action fascinates and saddens me. I'd never lobbied for anything before I worked for the AHA and I kind of wish I had seen the process in action in my home state of Indiana just to see the differences. Nonetheless, it makes me both more cognizant of who I'm electing and frustrated with politicians. Not the process so much, but the people in it.

Just like politics and religion are taboo to talk about in mixed company, I feel both are the same in another aspect. Democracy and religion are both perfect ideas. When you factor in the human element, they become a little more muddled--but also more beautiful in their imperfections.

Let me explain--at least on the democracy front. Today I watched our state's commissioner of health give a very eloquent synopsis of the state of obesity, how Tennessee fares on the front (poorly, by the way), and the bills going before the House that might impact Tennessee's obese adults and kids. She testified directly in front of a representative with a liter bottle of Mountain Dew. It was kind of humorous.

The other thing that bothered me was the the lawmakers didn't know the laws they had passed. I realize that A LOT of laws are debated and even passed in the House or the Senate, but I really expected that those that were signed in to law would at least be remembered. Clearly that wasn't the case as one representative was lamenting the fact that there was no required Physical Education in schools. A few years ago the issue was voted on and it was made that90 minutes per week of physical activity was required--not PE. PE is guided by trained teachers. Physical activity is not. Some schools were counting passing periods for their students to get to the 90 minutes. I think I was more upset because requiring PE is up for vote this year.

But all of this makes me realize that I can't hear this stuff without wanting to debate it. I have a hard time being able to play the game of politics. Which is why I am better left to voicing my opinion--either with my vote or my persuasive abilities. And why I encourage everyone else to too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...