Pages

Monday, June 07, 2010

Fine. I'm Hooked. Dammit.

I tried to avoid it, as I do most popular literature. Not because I'm a snob or because I think I know better. Because I don't know better. Anyone who knows my crappy taste in music knows that I don't think myself above craptasticness. However, I tend to avoid things everyone loves because I get disappointed if I don't love it too.

Case in point: A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was suggested to me by at least 6 people so I caved and read it. I hated it. I mean, I absolutely found little redeeming value in the novel. People LOVE this book and I couldn't see the appeal. It took great convincing to read another John Irving novel, but someone swore to me that The World According to Garp was more up my alley. And I'm glad they did, because I really enjoyed that one.

So it was with some trepidation that I started Girl With a Dragon Tattoo. The first 20 percent (I can't say "pages" because I downloaded to the Kindle and therefore there are screens, but not pages) was long and little tedious. And it took more than halfway through before the two main characters met. It's set up to happen the entire book and you're waiting, but it seems to take forever to get there.

But I digress and to avoid spoiling this book that's been out for 5 years, I'll just say. It's getting good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...