Pages

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Financial Advising

It's one thing to know that you don't make the most money in the world. It's another thing to have someone else look at you and tell you that.

I went to see a financial advisor today. Why? Because during my free lunchin' a couple of weeks ago, the advisor sounded optimistic and helpful and I thought... hey? What could be the worst thing that could happen?

I went to my appointment fully expecting to see my lunch-guru only to find out he had gone back to Georgia a few weeks earlier. This made me upset for two reasons: 1) The reason I even signed up for financial planning was because the guy had a degree in English. Yes, I know that seems weird, but he had moved to Colorado to work for an environmental group and ski. It was there that he started e-trading to start working less and skiing more. I like the idea of having a hippie- who-knows-finances handle my account. 2) I was pissed that I had made the appointment about three weeks before and no one there told me that the guy had left or even called to reschedule my appointment. Something.

So, today I went and found out that I don't make enough money for them to normally be concerned with. Half of me thought this could actually be true. I began to wonder where people like me go for financial help, aside from their parents. This could be a lucrative business if someone wanted to start it. A financial advising firm that would NOT be a debt-consolidation firm, but some that would genuinely help those in the in-between stages of their life.

Anyway, half of me bought it. The other half of me thought it was a great sales pitch for the advisor to make me feel special. Like he was going to go over my finances for free and out of the goodness of his heart.

However, the idea of taking control and saving money is something that I like and would like to do more of. Dammit, I want to get to Europe and get a new car without having to go on The Price is Right. Is that too much to ask?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A 401K is great for retirement, and a Roth IRA is great for retirement and/or your first house, but a financial advisor can help you put your money in interest-earning accounts that you can still access without incurring large tax penalties.

Ash, consider just talking to your bank about a money market account and a variety of CDs.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you live in Nashville, talking about financial advice, and you have no mention of Dave Ramsey! He's a financial advisor and author, and he hosts a talk radio show. I can't remember the station, but it's the FM talk station in Nashville. I know it's probably not exactly what you're looking for, but his website (and show) have some really good resources. http://www.daveramsey.com

Another dude who I listen to occasionally in ATL is Clark Howard - http://www.clarkhoward.com

They're decent places to start...

Anonymous said...

You didn't ask me to add a piece! That means it free! I wannit!

Hoosier Chick said...

I have a 403b--the non-profit version of a 401K. I just need to increase my reserves while paying off debt.

Good god. We are getting responsible when I start getting this much response from an anecdote on financial planning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...