Pages

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I'm a Bitch

We've had a bunch of new people start recently at work. Some of them permanent, some of them temporary, but the one thing they all have in common is that I'm not nice to them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not mean to them. I'm more indifferent in nature. We've had so many temps and so many people that don't stay very long, I almost make a new employee prove their longevity before I'll waste my time in getting to know them. Selfish? Yes. Effective? Yes.

Since I've been here, a mere four years, we have more than 32 employees leave their positions in this office. There are only 30 people in this office. So in theory, that means that every position in here has been changed in less than four years. Of course, in actuality some positions have been turned over a couple times, but you get my drift. There is no reason that at age 26 I should be the 5th most senior person on our staff.

Non-profit work is decidedly fickle. There are people that think the moral superiority of working for a cause will outweigh the discrepancies in pay between non-profit and for-profit jobs. They last as long as their enthusiasm and transmissions (or other costly item) hold out. Double or even triple that length of time for people who have a spouse that makes more than they do and there are no kids involved. Usually once a child pops out, the money becomes an issue again.

There are also people that are used to working for large corporations for years and years and plan on using non-profit work to transistion them into retirement. This works until they realize they only get reimbursed $50 on their $500 cell phone bill. Or they have to go through 20-year olds to have their expense reports approved.

And lastly, there are the right from college kids who get a job working for a non-profit before heading into the more lucrative field of pharmaceutical sales. They use the sales experience to build their resume and medical contacts before moving on.

Of course there are people that break all of those molds. That's me. I'm the one who's too lazy to leave.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...that hits right where it hurts.

Hoosier Chick said...

You stayed longer than a year and didn't go into pharmaceutical sales. I gotta give you respect for that. Other Golden Children can kiss it.

Anonymous said...

If Imy boss hadn't changed, and if I hadn't met my fiance, I'd probably still be there. And I'd never do pharma sales. I hate those bitches. Why are they ALWAYS at my doctor's office during my appointment time? Whores.

Anonymous said...

Easy there Robyn; my mother was one of those whores for many a moon.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Chef...my comment was not directed at anyone in particular, ans especially not yo mama. I don't like the ones who always happen to be in my doc's office when I have an appointment. I don't mean all pharmaceutical sales people are whores...only the ones who inconvenience me!

It was a joke - I'm sorry if I offended you.

Anonymous said...

No offense taken. Just trying to show the flip-side of the situation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...