Pages

Monday, February 20, 2006

The Need for Weeds

Chef and I spent the better part of Sunday lounging around and watching TV. Actually, we spent a good deal of time watching the computer. Eager to test the video capabilities of the new iPod, we downloaded my favorite episode of The Office ("Office Olympics"). Then Chef suggested downloading the Showtime show Weeds.

He'd heard good stuff about it and so we downloaded the first episode. The next day we watched it off of the computer and we were hooked. I haven't heard a lot about this show because I don't have Showtime, but it's one of the best things I've seen in a long time. In fact, if Showtime gets Arrested Development from Fox, I'll definitely become a subscriber just for those two shows.

Weeds follows a suburban white woman, Nancy, from her PTA-friendly Uber-white planned neighborhood as she deals pot to her neighbors. Nancy is forced to make ends meet after her husband dies suddenly of a heart attack and turns to dealing weed to keep up her lifestyle. My favorite dialogue from the first episode came from the first five minutes of the show. When Nancy goes to her supplier's house, she questions the weight of one of Heylia's bags and comes to this response:

Heylia: "Child, I could eyeball an ounce of weed from outer space with cracked glasses."

Conrad: "Don't mess with Heylia. She's the Rainman of weed."

Anyway, it's a good time. The music in the show is pretty bitchin' too. Check it out on iTunes. We bought the whole season and it was the best money we've spent in a while.

On another note, what does say it about me that I watched an episode of 30 Days about binge drinking and thought the whole time "Man, a cocktail does sound good right now." I cracked open some wine about 5 minutes after the credits rolled.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...