Pages

Monday, June 26, 2006

So, I can't count

Actually, I can't read a counter, because I'm still like 500 hits away from hitting 5000. Thanks to Chef for pointing it out to me.

So Friday, I was trying to start my car and the key would go in, but not actually move. For those of you who have a Toyota, you know that you have to jiggle the wheel sometimes for the ignition to give. However, when I did it, nothing doing.

Of course, not only will my car not start, but my window's rolled down, so I can't really leave it. I call a work buddy to stay with my car and lend me hers while I roll home to grab the original key (I'd been using a copy for about 3 years). Get back to the car, the ORIGINAL key won't work so now I'm getting pissed and balls ass hot.

I have a moment of freak out as the dollar signs flash in front of my eyes and start slamming the wheel with my hands. After they are nice and sore, I call information who hooks me up with a locksmith. The locksmith says it's better to take it to a Toyota dealer, because he's not sure he can fix my problem and would still have to charge me for the trip.

I call the Toyota dealership in town and the guy there tells me to jiggle the wheel. Not once but twice he tells me this before I explain to him that I'd already tried that, my friend had already tried that and a passing-by cop had already tried that. He then tells me he has to have my car to fix it and hooks me up with a tow.

So, after a really nice wrecker picked me up (he really did make everything seem better), the dealership guy said he'd try the cheapest thing first: making new copies of my keys at $13 a piece. Can you believe it? It actually worked. He said that ice or something had warped the driver's side door and stripped the keys. They finally got so bad that they wouldn't work in the ignition any more, but that the ignition was fine. I have to use my old busted key to work the driver's side door and the new keys for the ignition, but that works for me!!

And that was my Friday.

1 comment:

Swampy said...

It's Occam's Razor, yo. The simplest solution is usually the correct one.
On a similar note, the Metro's door lock has become so corroded that on the rare occasion that I actually lock my door, I can barely get it back open. So not only do I bend the shit out of the key when I DO get it open, occasionally I still have to open the hatchback with the key, climb in, and unlock the stubborn door that way.
Go ahead, imagine the looks I get when I have to do that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...