Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

I'm Not Good At Time Zone Math

With a boss and colleague in the UK, a freelancer in Denver, another freelancer in New York and colleagues in DC, I've found something pretty evident out: I'm not good at time zone math.

I can't automatically look at my watch and know what time it is in London. Or New York. If the time crosses over the 12:00 hour (on either end), I'm screwed. Also take into account something I never realized: Europe observes Daylight Savings Time a full two weeks after we do. So there was a two-week period that the time difference was an hour less than it normally is. Yeah, it confused the crap out of me.

Another thing I've found out is that my body isn't good in dealing with time zones, either. I firmly believe that even after four months of being in LA, my body is still on Central time. I get up at 5 a.m. (7 a.m. CST). I never used to get up that early, but I can now. I go to bed at 10 p.m. (12 p.m. CST). I also never used to go to bed that early (at least not normally) either.

And when I went to DC this week, I felt more in tune with Eastern time until it was going to bed. Then I was awake until almost 1 a.m. (EST). Of course the end of the Butler game could have had something to do with that too.

So it's 4:40 PST. I got on a plane at 9:15 EST and was on the plane for 6 hours. So it's like it's 7:40, right?

All I know is that I'm tired. And tired transcends time zones.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...