Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Why Am I Reinventing the Wheel? (Or using tired cliches?)

This was under the lid of a box of
mini-pies I bought last week. 
My experiment in trying all new healthy recipes hit a snag last week that lead to my downfall. I had three bad recipes in row which in my head gave me a legitimate reason to give up and order a Domino's Bread Bowl--which is the ultimate in nasty carb overload. I've also been a touch down which again lead to the carb chowdown.

I was thinking about where I went wrong and then I realized that I'm not new to this. I've lost weight before and I will lose weight again. I took a step back and thought: What were the habits I had when I successful in losing weight? What made it seem not so hard back then? And so, now I'm gonna write them down here and make the commitment to replicate them for a month to see how I do. Here goes:

  • Track--truthfully--every calorie I consume
  • Don't beat myself up about a bad meal--just don't let one meal turn into a day or a week or a month. 
  • Eat things I love. Just healthier versions. If I don't say NO to anything in particular then I'm not really denying myself. I just need to eat better versions.
  • Eat at least 3 fruits and veggies a day. (Yes, I know it's a 5 a day limit, but I've always been behind on that one).
  • Mix up the exercise. Do a regular bout of cardio (running, walking, elliptical) each day and some weight training or other exercises at least 3 times a week. 
  • Limit my alcohol.
  • Look at menus of where I'm planning on eating before I go out so that I can make my healthy choice before I walk through the door. 
  • Eat 5 times a day--3 meals and two small snacks. 
  • Weight myself only twice a week. (not daily. yes, I'm that neurotic)
So that's it. These were the things that helped me do well before. They helped me focus on gaining healthy habits and not just on weight loss. They made being healthier easier and fun. And I didn't dread what I was supposed to be eating. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...