Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

What a Coincidence

Just a few days after I write about the different versions of me and how I dress different for them, I got my latest personality test results back.

Latest personality test? Yes. It's a corporate thing. I actually enjoy it and most people do. Who doesn't like to hear about themselves? No one, that's who. I've taken a few different ones in a few different forms. This one was the DISC format. The DISC are dominance, influence, steadiness and conscientiousness.

What they don't tell you when you're taking it is that you're actually taking it for a "work" you and a "true" you. How they come up with results from answering like 24 questions, I'll never know. Nor will I ever take them 100 percent at value. Because it's like a horoscope. There's some piece of every one that resonates with a piece of everyone. So whether the results were based on the stars or research from a psychologist, it's still kind of the same.

Anyway, the work me was a D. Dominance. Ds make quick decisions, sometimes without a lot of information, they are goal-driven and often blinded by the path to the end result. Ds can appear unfriendly in work scenarios because they're thinking about steps to a goal.

That actually sounds pretty much like me. Maybe not so much in a my old job, but me in my new job. I don't have a lot of people to impress or harmony to keep. I just really see a lot of things that need to be fixed and am driven by the steps to try and fix them.

The home me is a combination of I and D. Which means that I'm still an extrovert (Ds and Is are extroverts, Ss and Cs are introverts). But it also means that I'm more outgoing in a friendly nature. I tend to be more persuasive and political. I'd say that is probably true too. I still have the D that's driving to get stuff done but I'm much more friendly about it.

So basically, I not only dress differently at home and work, but I act it too. And it's not just me. Which makes me feel simultaneously better and worse. Better because I'm not alone (although I rarely think that I am). Worse because I wonder how many people I see as one-dimensional and miss out on. I guess the trick is to make sure that my one-dimension is one that's somewhat interesting. And that if I see someone else who is interesting to see if their other dimension is interesting too.

And I just thought life was getting simple. . .

1 comment:

Shera said...

How nice that this one recognizes that people act differently at work and home.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...