Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Working for Fun

Last Friday we had a fun day in the office. Meaning that we were supposed to celebrate the dawning of a new fiscal year. It's so weird to actually have a new meaning to Happy New Year. This year it was like "Happy New Year!" said with a huge sigh on the end for two meanings: 1) being truly thankful to have survived what has been a tough year for everyone and 2) having survived and still have a job.

Both of those notwithstanding, it takes a lot of effort and planning to have a "fun" day. There's the obligatory theme, the planning of the secret activity, the coordinating of the potluck, providing favors for a kick off, cooking for the potluck and then bringing all the stuff in for the activity. There were so many details going through my head on Thursday night, that you'd have thought I was planning a wedding. Alas, it was merely a potluck and a scavenger hunt.

But after all that, there's still nothing more fun than watching your co-workers run around town in cowboy hats or oversized polka dot bow ties looking for a library or a hardware store. Except maybe the pictures that came from it all.

Then I had a group of volunteers that were meeting on Saturday for a social gathering and were nice enough to ask me to go along. They also said the magic words "Dinner and wine" and POOF I was there. It was an unusual group of ladies, ones that I wouldn't have met in any other way, but it just worked. So many backgrounds coming together to share stories. I learned a lot and had fun.

Of course, none of this was particularly helpful to my overall goal of kicking Chef's butt in weight loss, but despite travelling, cheating and drinking an occasional glass of wine, I still manage to have lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks. Not as many as I could, but it's nice to know that I can live alittle and still not blow everything that I've worked for so far. (Which is a 4% to 1% percent weight loss lead so far). Now it's time to get down to business. I'm getting buff, but it's only supporting my eating habit. Damn you, tasty foods!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...