Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Stuck in the Middle With You

Have you ever been in a room full of people who do your job but for another company? Yesterday I was and it was hell on heels. My limited, yet insightful experience within the world of PR has taught me that for the most part, I hate PR people. They're the overachieving, always needing attention and yet slightly alienated people that you sat next to in high school. Yes, I realize that that could technically describe me, but these people have two things that I utterly lack: genuine enthusiasm and self-awareness.

The particular PR person I was annoyed by and actually spent most of my time avoiding was from one of the hospitals in the system of hospitals that sponsored this event. She was supposed to be at the event in a volunteer capacity showing people the health screening areas and things of that nature. She is the type of woman that could make walking look uncomfortable and hazardous in sensible, square-heeled shoes, yet chose to push the limits of gravity in her stilettos.

Instead of doing her volunteer job, the media whore got between me and the TV crew that I summoned to the event and tried to be a spokesperson. Luckily I knew the camera guy and therefore told him if he used any of the footage with her in it, there would be no more free lunches in his future. Instead, he used the chairs of the event in his story, as I requested.

Media Whore then proceeded to follow me around and ask me what other media outlets were going to be there. After running down the list, she told me she would have gotten more. I could have listed every media outlet in Nashville and she still would have insisted she could've done a better job. My boss, who was in from Atlanta to "observe me" during the event, was kind enough to run some interference for me.

Nonetheless the event is over and I have no more organized events until October. It's totally time for a vacation.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...