Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I Demand a Recall

There is nothing more heartbreaking and nerve racking than getting the panicked phone call from someone wanting to know if their (or their spouse, family member, etc) medical device works properly.

Guidant, a company out of Indianapolis, has had to recall two types of devices in the last two weeks: implantable defibrillators and pacemakers. Both kinds of devices that could seriously fuck you up if they malfunction. And that's what's happened. They had about 70 people die and are recalling them.

It sucks, but it sucks more to tell the person that we don't have a list of the medical devices that haven't killed people. We also don't have devices that we recommend because we don't recommend ANY medical devices, as a rule.

"What the hell do you do, anyway?" is the standard reply and one that I got again this afternoon. Technically I promote the agenda and events of this organization and have nothing to do with medical device recall at all, was what I wanted to say. Of course, I knew that if it had been my grandma, I'd be scared and pissed to.

Luckily, this guy calmed down enough to listen to me explain that the FDA issues any recalls and the FDA web site would have the information on the recalled devices as well as the model his wife had in her.

It's amazing what's on the FDA web site. Everyday they issue about 10-20 recalls and consumer warnings and we MIGHT hear one a month. Seriously, looking down at it, it reminds you what a litigious country we live in.

By the way, if you get bored by crappy TV this summer, Arrested Development is replaying its second season on Friday nights. And if you're really bored like me, check out The Amazing Race on the Game Show Network every night. I am TOTALLY addicted to The Amazing Race.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...