Pages

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Whore of War

Apparently every holiday is now a time to show movies about war on cable. The war in the Middle East is an excuse for cable companies and movie distributors to wheel out their 'patriotic, the underdog always wins, a lesson is learned' movie.

Nonetheless I was taken in by this hook, at least to some extent (of course Tivo viewing make TV movies bearable). I began to notice a trend. The same actors seem to pop up again and again in war movies. Barry Pepper, that annoying kid from Remember the Titans and of course, the Whore of War, Mel Gibson.

I honestly can only think of a couple Mel Gibson movies that don't deal with some war, be it in the U.S., for the U.S. or just plain good old fashioned conflict. The crappy ass Air America was centered around a war. Even What Women Want deals with the battle of the sexes (okay, that one was a stretch).

War war war. Even fictitious wars get some airplay. Of course, Independence Day did have the title working for it. I usually only watch because it makes me remember the first time I saw that movie with Swampette. She got startled at one point and coke and popcorn rained down on me.

I hope every one had a happy war weekend.

1 comment:

Lake Allison said...

War weekend.. I know what you mean.

For example, people went NUTS with the fireworks, this year. It sounded just like a war outside.

No coincidence, that's what the holiday is about.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...