Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

You don't need food or shelter, you need good Christian restraint

I read an article the other day about the AIDS efforts in Africa. Yes, timely seeing as it's "Get Your Stanky Ass Tested" Month. Anyway, it pointed out that just in time for the 2004 election, Bush promised $15 billion in AIDS relief efforts. The gesture was a general feel-good move that was enough to have some people feel like "See? He doesn't just want to bomb the shit out of places that aren't America and drain them of anything that might be profitable. He cares about the AIDS babies, too."

Whatever. It was bullshit, like most political maneuvers. We're giving away about half of what we said we would (yes, it's still $7-8 billion, but my mom always told me not to let my mouth write a check that my ass couldn't cash).

Here's the big kicker: Instead of giving the money to proven non-governmental AIDS relief agencies, the Bush administration has stipulated that only efforts that promote abstinence over condom use. That's like making a cancer patient think happy thoughts to get better while we hold the medicine.

When will people realize that about 70 percent of the WORLD is NOT Christian? Since when did religion become an outright necessity for receiving US funds? The US doesn't hold back on military funding for Iraqis and we KNOW they aren't doing the sign of the cross with every dollar they get.

I thought we had a separation between church and state . Although I knew it was never really true, I liked the delusion.

After 2008, the only Bush I want to hear about is Billy Bush and I only want to see him interviewing some shitty celebrity that's "in love" and "has to tell the world."

4 comments:

Bonez said...

Awesome writing and commentary, Ashley. You've won another loyal reader. I'm adding you to my blogroll and will be back often.

Anonymous said...

You're grrrrEEAAT!

Anonymous said...

Except...abstinence isn't really a Christianity-based concept. Islam and Hinduism oppose all free/premarital sex, as well.

I'm just saying.

Hoosier Chick said...

And a great point to make, Swampette, but my religion advocates fornicating like monkeys before marriage. I'm not being represented and it's all about me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...