Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

The Odd Thing About the Social Security Office

Today I had the best commute: 30 seconds. From the bedroom to my couch. I worked from home. I have a great job that allows me to do that every once in a while when I have appointments in LA. Today's appointment was at the social security office. It's the first step in officially changing my name to Loar. Hooray!

It wasn't that bad. I love the number system that's automated, and it only took about 30 minutes for my number to be called. It also only took another 10 for the process to be complete. I get my new card in 2 weeks. At which point, I can go wait in line at the DMV to get a new license. Ugh. All kinds of lines.

After the social security office, we were feeling indulgent so we broke our diet for the first time in a while and went to McDonald's. It was in the middle of McDonald's that I realized that for the last two hours, Chef and I had been the minority every where we went. Now that's not something you feel everyday. Wait. Scratch that. That's not something white people do every day. Clearly someone is always in the minority. It was just odd that it was me. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if the workers at the SS office hadn't been fluent in Korean and Spanish.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...