|Maple glazed chicken |
with Brussels sprouts slaw
I made pumpkin ravioli with a light cheese sauce and hazelnuts on Sunday. It was actually not too bad, but just didn't have a lot of POP. I think the flavors were supposed to be subtle but ended up as bland. And it's a fine line between subtle and bland. Too fine a line for a cook like me.
Last night was the meal pictured: Maple glazed chicken with Brussels sprout slaw. I found out a few things: 1) I love roasted Brussels Sprouts but I do NOT like raw ones. Even with a nice vinaigrette and dried cranberries. 2) That maple and red wine vinegar might smell like crap when reducing but don't taste too badly together. and 3) I still overcook chicken like nobody's business. I wish I wasn't afraid to give someone food poisoning, but I am. And that makes me cook the shit out of things. The chicken was terribly overdone, but did need the steak knife for adequate slicing.
Anyway, here's where I'm at:
- Pages of fiction read: 55% of a 400 page book (Mockingjay). So, that's technically 220 pages.
- Fiction read: Mockingjay. I'm going to be sad when it's over.
- Fiction listened to via audiobook: None, but I just got the two final Stieg Larsson books because I can't seem to read them and the Confederacy of Dunces, because I've always wanted to read that, but never seem to remember.
- Five pages written: Yes!!! Still reworking a new beginning to the book. started a brand new section. I'm now up to 45 pages of NEW material in four weeks.
- Calorie tracking: Check. a whopping 281 calories OVER than my daily goal. Last week was not a good one. hence the new recipes, etc.
- Exercise: 265 minutes of exercise in the last week.
- Friends and family: Yup. A friend AND a family member got phone calls this week.
- Weight Loss:0 lb (did you SEE the calorie overage? Of course I didn't lose weight!)
- One revised section of novel per week: Check! Got about 8 pages of a transition to the main story.